I am not a hippy. I’m not a crusty. I’m not a gypsy. I work for a living. I pay my taxes and I am a responsible citizen. I believe in recycling. I do not litter. But I want a simple life and so with my husband I’m moving into a van. Maybe we will hate it. Or maybe this is the beginning of a new life.

In search of another life

"They danced down the streets like dingledodies, and I shambled after as I've been doing all my life after people who interest me, because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones that never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn..."

Jack Kerouac

Monday 20 September 2010

Who Are You?

It's really lovely having feedback on my blog but it feels as though I know nothing about my audience. Most comments posted are anonymous and so I don't even know when two messages are sent by the same person. So I would really appreciate a bit of personalised feedback. Who are you lot and why are you reading this?

But thanks for the interest. To reply to the person who asked me what we will be doing in India, I will be writing, practicing yoga and hopefully meeting more friendly and wonderful people. And looking forward to returning to the UK next spring.

We have found a home for our home throughout the winter. I was all set to look at loads of places but we were lucky enough to find a good one straight away. Because of the age and condition of our poor old lady we need her to be indoors in a dry area. Church Farm in Chichester has a huge space with high celilings that let in the air but not the damp. I won't tell you how much we are going to pay per month, but I was thinking £50 and we got it for much less than that.

We will be looking forward to picking her up next April.

3 comments:

  1. Hi I am 100waves on ukhippy. That is where I learnt of your blog. I don't like to post my email address on the interweb. A little about myself. I grew up in Australia and moved here in 1992. I moved to Germany, then Holland, then Switzerland, then back to the UK. At uni I studied philosophy and religious studies. I now work as a nomadic computer consultant - this means I live most of my life in hotels. I want to now get a campervan and stay in caravan parks. My name is Colin. Peace and Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura,
    I am the person who asked what you were doing in India - my name is Kerry and I don't normally comment on blogs cos you end up with loads of crazy people sending you emails/nasty comments - no matter how inocuous your comments seem to be! It's funny as I did my MA on Jack Kerouac and that is my favourite quote from "On the Road", and I was listening to the 'Into the Wild' soundtrack when you posted your comment about the Eddie Veder song 'society'. I am an independent filmmaker but have to do a super-boring day-job to pay the un-ending stream of bills, so my creativity is limited to lunchtime and after work. I have a feature film on the go at the mo and I live in Scotland. I have a trip planned to India in March next year for 1 month, but I'd love it to be longer. My husband is an artist-and an actor. We both wanna make the move away from being stuck in one place but we didn't have the money to buy a van. If you wanna email me, please feel free - kerry.patten@yahoo.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello to you both.

    Colin, I thought that you may have a problem publishing your email address on the web. For the same reason I don't like to publish my exact whereabouts. But we do hang out at the seafront sometimes.

    Getting a campervan would be so much more fun than living out of hotels. I hope your search goes well. The best advice I can give is that if you are planning to free-park for any time at all during the winter months make sure you have a wood burner.

    Kerry, great to hear from you and thanks for leaving your email address. I will be in touch. It sounds as though we have a few things in common. You don't need much money to buy a van. I reckon it's one of the best investments you can make, even if you still want to live in a house full time.

    ReplyDelete