I am not a hippy. I’m not a crusty. I’m not a gypsy. I work for a living. I pay my taxes and I am a responsible citizen. I believe in recycling. I do not litter. But I want a simple life and so with my husband I’m moving into a van. Maybe we will hate it. Or maybe this is the beginning of a new life.

In search of another life

"They danced down the streets like dingledodies, and I shambled after as I've been doing all my life after people who interest me, because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones that never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn..."

Jack Kerouac

Wednesday 4 August 2010

Home-Making

I am kitting the whole van out in homemade curtains but as I have no sewing machine I’m doing the whole lot by hand. It’s actually a very relaxing pastime and I reckon another four hour’s work should do it. I have never made curtains in my life, never mind hand-stitched ones but it’s a rewarding job. I can’t wait to finish work every day so I can rush home and get stitching.

I have also painted about a third of the inside so far. I bought some non-toxic paint from the North Laine which incredibly has no smell and is safe to sleep near. Next year I think I’d like to build a van from scratch (well, the camper conversion anyway, not the actual van!)

No comments:

Post a Comment