I am not a hippy. I’m not a crusty. I’m not a gypsy. I work for a living. I pay my taxes and I am a responsible citizen. I believe in recycling. I do not litter. But I want a simple life and so with my husband I’m moving into a van. Maybe we will hate it. Or maybe this is the beginning of a new life.

In search of another life

"They danced down the streets like dingledodies, and I shambled after as I've been doing all my life after people who interest me, because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones that never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn..."

Jack Kerouac

Tuesday 10 August 2010

Traveller Strategy

In the council’s Traveller Strategy,they prioritise the investigation of ‘reports of anti-social or illegal behaviour’, but this does not seem to be a problem in the New Traveller communities I have come across. As I have said before, the New Travellers community seems to me to be instilled with the decent morals that have been lost in modern city living. I lived in flats for six years around Brighton, and I cannot recall a morning when I conversed with three neighbours on my way to work but that is exactly what happens when you live in a van.

The Traveller Strategy states that in 2006, 10% Roma Gypsies and 19% of Irish Travellers gained 5 A*-C grades at GCSE compared to 57% of general population. Although I have no facts to hand, I would be willing to bet the exact opposite is true for the children of van dwellers and New Travellers. I have met many of them and they have blown me away. Full of confidence, seven and eight year olds are able to converse intelligently with adults, whilst maintaining a child’s view on the world. Instead of shutting themselves away to watch television, they are outside, making campfires, learning about nature and playing musical instruments.

No comments:

Post a Comment