I am not a hippy. I’m not a crusty. I’m not a gypsy. I work for a living. I pay my taxes and I am a responsible citizen. I believe in recycling. I do not litter. But I want a simple life and so with my husband I’m moving into a van. Maybe we will hate it. Or maybe this is the beginning of a new life.

In search of another life

"They danced down the streets like dingledodies, and I shambled after as I've been doing all my life after people who interest me, because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones that never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn..."

Jack Kerouac

Saturday 10 July 2010

Sandwich

We’ve finally brought the van far away from Brighton to Sandwich in Kent. It took a long time to go up hills (15 miles per hour in some places), but once on the motorway she ran like a dream. We even overtook vehicles on the way.

It feels as though we are a million miles from Brighton and I think the road signs have been written by a different person. Even though they say the same old thing (services ½ mile), they seem to have a different personality.

Sandwich is a beautiful little place but now we are in search of the perfect sandwich. I thought there might be shops advertising them as Cornish shops advertise Cornish pasties and cream teas but so far I haven’t seen any.

When we arrived last night Reg said “it’s great camping innit?” We looked around our van and laughed.

No comments:

Post a Comment