I am not a hippy. I’m not a crusty. I’m not a gypsy. I work for a living. I pay my taxes and I am a responsible citizen. I believe in recycling. I do not litter. But I want a simple life and so with my husband I’m moving into a van. Maybe we will hate it. Or maybe this is the beginning of a new life.

In search of another life

"They danced down the streets like dingledodies, and I shambled after as I've been doing all my life after people who interest me, because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones that never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn..."

Jack Kerouac

Thursday 22 July 2010

A Small Digression

The sky has been just stunning for what seems like weeks. Every day at around 8.30 pm the clouds scatter while the sun is low in the sky. But I have been wondering whether or not that’s normal for this time of year? I wouldn’t know because when I lived in a flat I didn’t spend my evenings looking out of the window like I do now. I might go down to the beach a couple of evenings a week, but now I am almost living outside.

We are having a particularly spectacular summer so I daresay that has something to do with it but even when the weather isn’t ‘good’ it can still be beautiful. So that train of thought took me to the Cloud Appreciation Society which has 22526 members so far.

They see clouds as ‘nature’s poetry’ and fight against what they call ‘blue sky thinking’. I have to say I agree with them. I have felt that ever since reading All Quiet on the Western Front many years ago. The central character swore that if he got out of the war alive he would spend every single day in the weather, be it rain, cloud or snow. I seem to recall that he was buried underground at the time where absolutely no weather penetrated. So while the sunny weather is great, give me any weather over no weather. And clouds. It has just started raining.

No comments:

Post a Comment