I am not a hippy. I’m not a crusty. I’m not a gypsy. I work for a living. I pay my taxes and I am a responsible citizen. I believe in recycling. I do not litter. But I want a simple life and so with my husband I’m moving into a van. Maybe we will hate it. Or maybe this is the beginning of a new life.

In search of another life

"They danced down the streets like dingledodies, and I shambled after as I've been doing all my life after people who interest me, because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones that never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn..."

Jack Kerouac

Tuesday 29 June 2010

The Lady in the Van II

I have just finished reading The Lady in the van-even though it’s a tiny book- and I have mixed feelings. I wish I had met her, even though she had some strange (and disgusting) habits, such as urinating in plastic bags laid over sanitary towels then leaving the towels to dry over her stove. She must have reeked but she was certainly a true eccentric. Unlike Reg and I, who are just normal, boring people trying to get through life without spending all our money on rent and bills.

I highly recommend anyone planning on living in a van to read it, if only to get a feeling for other peoples’ views of those who live in vans. Not that I think everyone assumes we must use plastic bags instead of a toilet but because she would not have made half as interesting a story had she been an eccentric old lady who lived in a house down the road. What was lovely was how well she was tolerated and even looked fondly upon by the local community.

I did buy some heels today by the way, and it was a bit harder than usual to get into the van whilst wearing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment