I am not a hippy. I’m not a crusty. I’m not a gypsy. I work for a living. I pay my taxes and I am a responsible citizen. I believe in recycling. I do not litter. But I want a simple life and so with my husband I’m moving into a van. Maybe we will hate it. Or maybe this is the beginning of a new life.

In search of another life

"They danced down the streets like dingledodies, and I shambled after as I've been doing all my life after people who interest me, because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones that never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn..."

Jack Kerouac

Wednesday 2 June 2010

Our Winter Plans

One thing that I have not mentioned in this blog is that Reg and I do not plan to spend the winter in the van. Call us wimps if you like but we long for warmer climes when the icy weather sets in. After having spent full years at a time in Asia we always miss our friends and family back here so we have finally come up with a compromise. we plan to head to India for the winter and return in spring. It is the best of both worlds for us.

That is not to say that people do not live in their vans full time. There is a Mexican/Spanish couple who have lived together in a tiny van for three solid years and I met a German man last week who spent three years in his van in Cornwall. He had gas heating and his van was not particularly well insulated. Still, he said that as long as it was only cold he was warm; if it was cold and windy it was not.

To be honest, it would make us miserable but that is just the way we are. Perhaps we are not the hardiest of folk. Or perhaps we were simply built for hotter places. Last year we lived in the tropics and I cycled around the city in 36 degree heat. I was hot, but it was amazing how my body adjusted. I used to shiver in 20 degrees. I am not sure that I would adjust that easily to minus temperatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment