I am not a hippy. I’m not a crusty. I’m not a gypsy. I work for a living. I pay my taxes and I am a responsible citizen. I believe in recycling. I do not litter. But I want a simple life and so with my husband I’m moving into a van. Maybe we will hate it. Or maybe this is the beginning of a new life.

In search of another life

"They danced down the streets like dingledodies, and I shambled after as I've been doing all my life after people who interest me, because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones that never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn..."

Jack Kerouac

Wednesday 9 June 2010

A Leisure Battery

We were given a quote today for a leisure battery: £90 for 110 amps and £20 for a battery box. Installing a battery would be great, but as soon as the 110 amps had run out it would be dead. So we need a split relay box which costs £35 and means that the battery can be charged whilst on the move.

The amount of amps a battery has means that it will take the same number of hours to charge when driving. So it will take 110 hours of driving to fully charge. Considering you can drive to Scotland in 12 hours, we will have to do a hell of a lot of moving around for that to work. The only other alternative is to get a charger for £150 which enables you to fully charge the battery in an hour on site.

I also asked about installing a skylight and apparently it is easy to do yourself. The prices range from small £60 ones to huge, take-over-the-whole-of-the-roof £450 ones. We have not come to a decision yet but it is good to know what our options are.

No comments:

Post a Comment