I am not a hippy. I’m not a crusty. I’m not a gypsy. I work for a living. I pay my taxes and I am a responsible citizen. I believe in recycling. I do not litter. But I want a simple life and so with my husband I’m moving into a van. Maybe we will hate it. Or maybe this is the beginning of a new life.

In search of another life

"They danced down the streets like dingledodies, and I shambled after as I've been doing all my life after people who interest me, because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones that never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn..."

Jack Kerouac

Tuesday 15 June 2010

Yesterday I posted a message on moneysavingexpert.com with a copy of the first page of my blog at a friend’s suggestion. I wanted to share my thoughts but was aware that I may get some criticism. I was greeted with a barrage of insults, the first few written by people who assumed that neither Reg nor I work and are scrounging off the taxpayer in some way. Here is an excerpt of one of the replies followed by my answers:

“Unfortunately, your writing gives the impression that you are a pair of middle class individuals who look down on the people who have less than you, claim to eschew material possessions but are quite happy to buy overpriced delicatessen food (and tell the reader all about it), pay for gym memberships, go off to India for the entire winter and within days of going out on the road (well, off Madeira Drive) are considering buying a different van, whilst still feeling envious of those wealthier than you.

I've spent time living in a van. Certainly not some insanely priced behemoth, a birds eye pea green 1975 Commer camper van, to be precise. It led to some positively idyllic moments usually involving big surf and open fires (and quite a lot of old music brings it all back ). But it was only ever an extended, cheap, holiday. To pretend it was a socio-political statement and not a lifestyle choice, when I headed back to the great indoors within a fortnight of the first frosts (never mind India), would have been hypocritical”.


To be quite honest, I don’t have a problem in spending money on food (surely one of the greater pleasures in life) and gym membership (we are healthy living people and we cannot wok if we don’t shower) when we are saving money on rent and bills.

This life we have chosen has not been designed as any sort of statement. We are simply trying to live an interesting life while not spending too much money.

As human beings we are all judgmental. The only question is do we talk about our prejudices openly or do we lurk in the dark recesses of internet chat rooms waiting to launch attacks on posts we find controversial?



You can read the thread on: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=33826919#post33826919

No comments:

Post a Comment