I am not a hippy. I’m not a crusty. I’m not a gypsy. I work for a living. I pay my taxes and I am a responsible citizen. I believe in recycling. I do not litter. But I want a simple life and so with my husband I’m moving into a van. Maybe we will hate it. Or maybe this is the beginning of a new life.

In search of another life

"They danced down the streets like dingledodies, and I shambled after as I've been doing all my life after people who interest me, because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones that never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn..."

Jack Kerouac

Tuesday 22 June 2010

Midsummer

Finally summer has arrived in Brighton. It is now 8.30pm and I’m sitting in a bar looking out at the sea and it’s still broad daylight. Every winter I find it hard to believe that the sun really stays out until past 10pm on the longest summer days and just how every summer I forget just how cold and wet the winter months are. I have not been swimming in the sea yet this year and I’m not sure whether I will. I used to love that shocking punch of cold water but after having been in tropical heat for so long the thought unnerves me. And I no longer have a nice hot bath to go home to.

No comments:

Post a Comment